Sunday, October 29, 2023

Mammoth Goes to The Falls. The Big Ones. Day 3

Thu 21 Sep

 

This was a stay at camp and go to Mammoth Cave day. I'd booked the Cleaveland Avenue tour, thinking it would be focused on geology.  (That's what the brochure said) But the only geology we encountered was the naming of the tour after a famous rock collector named Cleaveland.



 

 

The tour guide tried very hard, but it was lame. The tour. After the only worthwhile thing he did was stand and sing on a rock shelf that had a natural echo chamber underneath. When he hit certain notes, the vibrations were cool.

Other than that, not worth the price of admission.

Later I took Molly for a walk by the train tracks and was excited to see a female American Redstart! The colors in the tail make this warbler unmistakable. After that I had my eye on a yellow-throated warbler and was about to get a good ID, but a train came through so close to where I was standing that I flinched and dodged by reflex.  I doubt if it fazed the bird, but it spooked me enough that I completely lost my focus.

There was no place to jog there. I tried and ended up going up and down the little streets around motels and the soybean fields.  But they did have a fairly nice dog park, so I'd stay there again if it were on the route.

Also something I had not seen in a long time--tobacco barn. 

 


We ate dinner at El Matzalan Bar and Grill. It was okay but confirmed our prejudice--you just can't get good Mexican food north or east of Texas.  





No comments: