Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Mammoth in the Land of Ups and Downs, Day 2

 Thu 8/24

Back to the trip. Molly and I got a one-hour "jog" today. We jogged 1/10 of a mile down to the start of the Cottonwood Trail, then walked the trail. I chose that one--there are tons of great trails here!--because it was mostly in the shade. At least, at dog level. Up at human being level, it was more sun than shade.

On the trail



The trail went along the cottonwoods by the river, paralleling the road.  I was almost knocked over by a bird or prey pursuing one of the lark sparrows. Poor bird missed its meal and poor me missed a good look at it. I think it was a barred owl, but it might have been a Cooper's Hawk. All I know is that it had a striped tail and its wings made noise when it abruptly shifted direction to avoid me.

In the land of birds, my name is "stupid human!"

And then I probably got a new lifer--a trio of Juniper Titmouse. All I know is that they were for certain sure titmice; the call/song they made was nothing at all like a tufted titmouse's, and they didn't have the pronounced face coloration o the tufted titmouse back home. Plus we're out of range for tufted.

I also saw a little yellow bird. Sigh.  And a golden-fronted woodpecker.

I just looked out the RV window (it's 4 in the afternoon and rather hot) to see a woman standing on the side of the big red rocks overlooking the campground. She's talking on a cell phone--trying to get a signal? Or a picture.

Whatever, she's a braver woman than I. Molly and I went for a quick venture down the drainage behind the rocks, where the ground is caving in and huge boulders stand every which way. Just as it was starting to get shady and nice, I made Molly turn around and go back. I didn't want to disturb any critters that might have been enjoying the shelter.

Molly at the crevice:

 Random images from camp





No comments: