Sunday, October 8, 2023

Catch up couple


High on the Hog: A Culinary Journey from Africa to America
Harris, Jessica B.


Most excellent journey!  The only quibble I might have is that she went off onto history more than culinary history from time to time. But it was exceedingly interesting history, always well-written and (I hope, because it sure seemed) well researched.

No matter how much you might know, you'll learn more. It starts way back in early times, in Africa before Europeans started slave trading, and travels up to modern cookbooks and chefs. Fascinating stuff.
    


The Abandoned Girl
by Diane Winger

Written with feeling and sincerity; no pulling punches; telling a universal story of loss and self-redemption.  Just like the other books of hers I've read.

And I totally recommend it, especially to a female audience of the younger set.

All that said, I lost interest about halfway. I think the hidden plot element, obvious to everyone else in the world, was not getting through to my consciousness. So I kept reading on and on, wondering when things were going to make sense and the parallel narratives become one. Well, duh, me.

I will not explain further. Just say I'm not the sharpest reader in the library. It's still a good book, maybe not great, though. Things were scary interesting at times, but then resolved to a dull sameness at others. So I recommend if it's your kind of a story. Maybe.

No comments: