Tuesday, February 4, 2014

A House Of Tailors

 
by Patricia Reilly Giff

You've heard this before.  I wish I'd read this book as a girl. 

It's a lovely, lively adventure of a German girl sent to Brooklyn to live with "The Uncle" and his wife.  It's set in the 1870's during the era of the Franco-Prussian war and it appears to be beautifully researched.  They need to make it into a graphic novel or an illustrated edition--that would be splendid.  Maybe there is one--I was listening to the audiobook.  No pictures.

If I were twelve again, and if there had been pictures of the hats and dresses she sewed, and if I'd read it, I'd have run to my fabric scraps and needles and thread and started immediately on recreating her creations.   There's just something about sewing--I don't know how to explain it.  It's tedious and mundane and totally unworthy of the modern woman's attention. 

But it's fun!  And creation   And art.

No comments: