Sunday, February 2, 2014

China Study Cookbook Recipe #1


Veggie Fajita Wraps -- Great!  

I used a little extra virgin olive oil to start off with, then added the broth--I think the health benefits of extra virgin olive oil are worth a little added fat.  I also subbed squash for the broccoli and totally missed the part where you are supposed to create the wrap with lettuce, tomatoes, salsa and avocado.  I just used a little vegan ranch dressing.

Whatever, they were great!  I'm still cherishing the leftovers.



:-(   I just realized that most grocery store tortillas and wraps have hydrogenated vegetable oil in them.  I feel violated.

And what the heck is interesterified fat?  New one for me--it's where they take vegetable oils and apply catalysts or lipase enzymes to rearrange the fatty acids such that the linoleic fatty acids at the sn-2 position are replaced with a saturated fatty acid.  Linoleic acid is an essential fatty acid; an omega-6 which is not necessarily good for you, but still required by the body in small quantities.  So what they're doing is to remove an essential fatty acid, replace it with a saturated fatty acid, and make the vegetable fat look like a a laboratory engineered animal fat.   This is an oversimplification--for full details you can look it up yourself.

Studies on the health benefits of interesterified fat seem to come out either neutral or slightly positive--but who cares?  Why is there any saturated fat in my tortilla?

And if I wanted to eat man-made chemicals I'd eat a bowl of Special K cereal!




No comments: