Tuesday, February 25, 2014

I can't even begin

When I start to read a book, I usually weigh the volume in my hands, look at the back cover blurb, and flip through pages to the beginning. I'm reading them yet, just assessing the font size and word count. It kind of gives me a clue about what to expect.

With an audiobook, I do none of that. I just copy it to the Ipod, navigate to Chapter 1 and press Start.



And thus began London Calling, by Edward Bloor...
and I still don't know how I could have been forewarned.   It was so unexpected and so unexpectedly good, I'm having trouble deciding between a 4-star rating and a 5.  But my mouse pointer is hovering over the 5.

A lot of times a book with an obvious religious message is just plain propaganda, but I can't say it of this one.  There's no more propaganda here than in the TV series Supernatural.  It's as if the author "what if'ed"  angels and spirituality and life beyond death, and came up with something beautiful.  I have no doubt the author is a strong Catholic, but that didn't keep me from loving this book.

Bear in mind, it's a teen book.  Minor details such as the inevitable arrest and subsequent prosecution when the bad guy gets his due aren't included.  I didn't care--I just cheer for it and went on to the good stuff--the unsolved murder; the unanswered question...I can't tell more.  Sorry.


No comments: