Monday, February 17, 2014

Food of the week

and The China Study Cookbook recipe #4
Lentils
 I've eaten lentils before but I don't recall cooking any.  The recipe called for brown lentils--the store had red, yellow, green and black.  Thank heavens they didn't have golden.

I chose the green ones.  I'm not a Dwarf--I eat green food.  Agriculturally, lentils are a "pulse", which appears to be a legume crop grown and harvested only for its dry seed.  They're a good food for the heart and the heavy; lots of fiber and they taste good, too.  Just not as good as a chocolate bar.

As to the recipe, I think I'll try a different one next time.  I ate it with some rice and, not to put to fine a point upon it...it was bland.  I wonder if my curry powder is old?   What I really need to do is mark the purchase date on every container of spice that I buy.  I'm not a chef who can sniff a spice and declare it "fresh" or "old."  Some of the spices in my pantry could be ten years old...or more.  Scary.

Hey, look what I found!  Wraps that use olive oil instead of "intesterified" soybean oil.  Taste and texture seem fine to me.  And I can eat them without feeling my arteries harden.


No comments: