Sunday, February 23, 2014

Everything i like in a memoir

                 Born Round
               by Frank Bruni. 


No, it wasn't on the list--it was an impulse read.  I got so frustrated during last week's "vacation," that the second day I had to work I got on the library catalog and found a couple of books to read, just as a reward for being out on the road yet again.

Born Round was a New York Times Notable Book and it deserved to be.  Mr. Bruni is the best kind of memoir writer--funny, kind to himself, and forgiving of others.  Growing up in a big family of Italian cooks and Italian eaters; cursed with some mixture of genes and personality that made food his drug of choice, you'd think Mr. Bruni was doomed to become the 300-pound, 50-year-old heart attack victim in the Cadillac-sized coffin.  And he probably thought so, too.

I devoured this book.  All I could wish for was more--toward the end, especially.  He artfully describes his strategies for sneaking into a restaurant multiple times and sampling a multitude of courses, trying to remain unrecognized as "The Critic"; and he humorously relates the ways his dining companions sabotage his strategy.  I just wanted to know a little more about the restaurants he visited--the good and the bad and in the case of Wild Salmon, the ugly.

A bit of the Wild Salmon review was quoted and it made me want more.

(Never mind--I just found a bunch of them online.)

No comments: