Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Fungus lesson

 

Food of the week--crimini mushrooms.


Also known as baby bella, mini bella, baby portobello, or portobellini.  I'll just call 'em "brown mushrooms."  They're harvested at an intermediate state of growth, so they're a little tougher and chewier than the white button mushrooms I love so much.  Their big sister, portobello mushrooms, are simply crimini that have been allowed to grow to full maturity.  I'm scared to try portobello--I might like them too much for my pocketbook to accomodate.

The whfoods.com website recommends giving crimini a quick saute to bring out their best flavor.  I'll try that--next time.  (I just chucked them in the salad and gobbled them raw.)

whfoods also speculates on their possible health benefits--protection against cardiovascular disease and hormone-dependent breast cancer.  And they might even be a significant source of vitamin B-12--although the amount varies widely.  I find the whole vitamin B12 issue amusing.  Humans need very little of it and can store it for years, but since it's the only known vitamin not easily obtained from a plant-based diet, sources like whfoods always rush to recommend foods that might contain a trace of it. 

They also say, "The B12 in these mushrooms was apparently produced by healthy bacteria growing on the surface of the fresh mushrooms."  Which is true for any other vegetable.  It appears that we can get all the B12 we need by eating organic vegetables and not washing them too carefully.  Which is certainly true of foods out of my garden, which I frequently don't wash at all.  Sometimes I rub them on my shirt front before popping them in my greedy mouth.
Hmmm...careless gardening == health-promoting.

To change the subject...I seem to observe that people who underline or highlight in a book frequently quit after the first couple of chapters.  My hypothesis, drawn from that observation, is that people who mark up a book are the people who are likely to abandon it.  (the stupid people)
How to test that?

No comments: