Saturday, February 8, 2014

Golly this took a long time

I was very confused by Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple. 

It was certainly entertaining--a "lively romp"--but it lacked that certain something that pulls me into a story and prevents me from putting it down.  It had humor, plot and characters, but not story.  (see http://www.ursulakleguin.com/Blog2012.html and go to 51. The Narrative Gift...)

The previous reader of the book felt the same way, I think.  Either that or she was a busy mother who only snatched short intervals from her day to read a page or two at a time.  I deduce this from the number of dog-eared pages, all of which had been left turned down, every three or four pages.  Towards the end they stopped--either she gave up, or else she stayed up an hour late to finish it in one big gulp.

I won't mention how inconsiderate it is to dog-ear the pages of a library book.  Would you do that to a book you borrowed from a friend?

But back to the book.  I don't think I'd recommend it, except possibly to a friend of mine who is a voracious reader but has a slightly different taste in literature than I do.  She likes quirky people who do strange things and frequently hover right on the edge of mental illness.  This has all of those.  And Manjula Kapoor is a hoot.  But I could definitely put it down.

No comments: