Sunday, March 2, 2014

Going straight to the top of the "to re-read" list


 
Code Name Verity
by Elizabeth Wein





Why is this considered a YA book?   I saw nothing that would recommend it to the young adult market over a general audience.  It's gruesome and painful to the point where I'm glad I didn't read it at seventeen--it would have given me nightmares.


It's twisted in plot but never vague; a thumping good spy thriller; a World War II action movie where the battles are realistic and gritty and often hopeless, and throughout a masterpiece of friendship, love and honor.  It's probably the best book I've read in years.  The minute I was done, I wanted to pick it up and start over.

My recommendation is: don't read the cover blurb and don't read reviews.  Start on page one and allow yourself plenty of uninterrupted time--you won't welcome visitors.  Or listen to the excellent audiobook.by Bolinda Audio.  The latter will help you with the Scottish accents.

No comments: