Saturday, March 8, 2014

Seasoned Salt--taste or tragedy?



First, an update on The China Study Cookbook's Tomatillo-Tortilla Bake.  Leftover with a little melted Jack-flavored Daiwa, it's not so bad.  If I ever try it again, I'll use corn tortillas instead of chips and add some chili powder and cumin.



Ree Drummond calls for seasoned salt in her Drop Biscuits and Sausage Gravy recipe, and it got me wondering--what is seasoned salt seasoned with?  The label calls it:
       a unique blend of spices, herbs, and fine-flaked salt.

Below that--holy smokes!--it's a cornucopia!

salt, dextrose, MSG, sugar, spices and spice oils, onion, garlic, paprika, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate (listed as flavor enhancers), yellow #5, yellow #6, blue#2, red#40, tricalcium phosphate, natural flavor (who knows what that is), carboxymethyl cellulose, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, malic acid, citric acid and sodium citrate.

What a mess.  I'm inclined not to use it.  In fact, I'm inclined to throw it in the trash.
I think I'll substitute salt (ingredients: sodium chloride) and pepper (ingredients: dried peppercorns).

No comments: