Monday, March 17, 2014

The good and the not so good


Recipe #15 from The China Study Cookbook was

Raisin Walnut Bread

It was surprisingly not bad.  I added 1/4 tsp salt to the recipe and might could have gone a little higher.  It had good texture and made a decent breakfast.  Too bad I'd just decided to cut back the wheat in my diet--it was all wheat flour.  I should try again and substitute some oat flour for part of the wheat.

Then recipe #16,
Pumpkin Gnocchi With Italian Vegetable Sauce

Fail!   The gnocchi were dry and hard as rocks despite my following the recipe to the letter.  If I'd made them half-inch size instead of the inch the recipe suggested, I might have liked them better.  The idea was good, though--maybe I could find a better vegan pumpkin gnocchi recipe on the web.

The Italian Vegetable Sauce?  Nope--it was Mexican, not Italian.  There's really no way to ruin zucchini and onions and diced tomatoes, but the recipe called for tomatoes with jalapeno peppers, so I used Rotel.   And that'sa not Italian.   Italian would have called for garlic and a little thyme with the basil and oregano; maybe a little flat-leaf parsley; and perhaps a dose of sliced mushrooms and a sprinkle of olives.  would have been yummy.


That

No comments: