Friday, November 10, 2023

Mammoth Goes to The Falls. The Big Ones. Day 11

 Fri 29 Sep

Sitting here eating jellybeans and listening to the rain fall. And Fall.  And fall.

It had been raining all night and would continue to rain all day and the most of the night. If we are lucky, it would become intermittent tomorrow.  So I left Ed to go run errands with the son while I came back to the motorhome to walk dogs. We got in a short walk, and I stopped to eat a little lunch while hoping the rain would slow down.

 Dog park, and mud



Instead it got worse.  I put on my wet socks and boots and went for another half-hour walk before I had to leave for supper at Edward's house.  I know that from inside it sounded and looked worse than it was. But it's still a wrench to go out there again.

Last night we ate at Eller's, an American restaurant in Liecester. They restaurant staff broadcast trivia games over the loudspeaker while we ate; a lot of people played. Also, the staff gave the kids balloons.

It was nice, and my food was extremely good--mixed greens salad with sugared pecans and a slab of salmon on top. Also they gave us bowls of popcorn for an appetizer. Although now that I think about it, the salad alone was $11 which was ridiculous; adding the salmon added another $11. But if I hadn't done that, I would have come away very hungry from my meal.

Wow. I could see the salmon costing that much, but the salad should have cost about $5, which is a considerable profit over the 50 to 75 cents for the ingredients plus 4.50 for labor.

Ed had a "cajun ribeye" but he didn't say how it tasted. I asked but he didn't hear me and I never remembered to ask again.  And the kids had chicken parmesan spaghetti, which looked pretty good to me.

But that was Thursday--I'm supposed to be writing about Friday.  For breakfast I wanted to eat at the Farmhouse Diner because they had eggs from their own chickens.  The eggs were indeed excellent and the french toast okay. I liked it very much. The other guys' meals were huge, too.  I'd definitely eat there again although I'd skip the french toast and go with regular toast or pancakes. Places like that always use big thick bread slices for french toast, which to me defeats the purpose--too "bready".

Nothing else planned for the day. Just pizza at the house and then an early return, I hope.

No comments: