Sunday, November 26, 2023

Mammoth Goes to The Falls. The Big Ones. Day 18


6 October

This day had sunshine, but I could only see Barkley  and Kentucky Lakes to say farewell to them. 





Travel from Grand Rivers Kentucky to Little Rock Arkansas:


Last day of camping--Maumelle campground in Arkansas. It was listed as having an address in Little Rock, but it was really a few miles north of I-440, past a very new and very expensive subdivision.  We could have eaten at a decent restaurant there, but I hadn't planned ahead so we just had leftover pork skewers.

 The campground was lovely, though. Right on the Arkansas River, with long spaces that angled right up to a great river view. It was very crowded, but that's because it was Friday night. On a weeknight I expect it would be nearly perfect as a campground.


There was a small web of paved trails in the woods, which would be great for birding although they didn't stretch on long enough to provide any real exercise.  I'd just gotten my binoculars on an Ovenbird (a kind of warbler) and was looking for other treats when Molly somehow managed to hurt her foot.  It was so bad that I considered calling Ed to come get us, but then I realized that it would be a shorter distance for her to walk if I simply cut across the campsites back to the motorhome.

She was fine by the time we arrived, but all the nuthatches, redheaded woodpeckers, jays, titmice, chickadees, and probably a whole bunch of warblers, were left behind.

Out on an island in the river I saw a couple of bald eagles, an osprey, herons, egrets and a kingfisher. Very birdy place--I liked!

No comments: