Sunday, November 5, 2023

Mammoth Goes to The Falls. The Big Ones. Day 7

 Mon 25 September

We all ate together at Stacked Pancakes, after having to go to a different location because the closest one was full up.  The second location was only five minutes away and was almost empty. Weird.  The pancakes were okay but not great. Too bad.

Then, it being Edward's day to leave, I strongly suggested we just play on the playground a little and then let them go. But they really wanted to go to the the Journey Behind the Falls tunnel walk at Horseshoe Falls.  It was a cloudy day, cool-ish but not cold, but I'd had enough of walking around under a waterfall on the day before. So I stayed on top and watched people watching falls, getting almost as wet from the mist and spray all over up there.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I saw about ten thousand Ring-Billed Gulls, some Cormorants, ducks and geese. Plus about a million people of every nationality imaginable.
 

And then the kids left. Poor dudes wouldn't be getting home until ten p.m. at the earliest, unless they skipped supper and drover straight through.  Oh, well--they're young. They can survive it.

 Ed and I were on our own for supper. I couldn't come up with any place to eat at, so we stayed put and did leftovers for supper.

I was suffering strange moods--feeling sad and vaguely out of whack. I love traveling; I love my family; I was overjoyed that we got to take this trip at all. (With the motorhome issues)  But I kept finding myself looking on the sad side of things instead of the gratefully, happy one. Possibly it was related to the fall of the year kind of depression I get--it's the time when things die and birds go south. There were a good number of trees turning; not quite the spectacular leaf-peeping season, but getting close. I saw two small flocks of geese flying in Vs, either going south or just heading to the grass around the falls for a day of grazing; I didn't know.

That afternoon Molly and I walked the entire circuit of the KOA. It was a lot bigger than I expected--had tons of tent camping setups. They have little roofed kitchen areas (sinks) in among them.  I expect that nowadays, since everyone has trailers and all, they're mostly never used.  And that made me sad, too.

NOTE: If we ever decide to do an automobile trip up here, we might consider doing a luxury cabin instead of a motel.  It's much nicer than a motel--quieter, with trees and places to watch birds.  Some of this place's luxury cabins are very nicely situated, but others have nothing except a tightly fenced yard behind them and a view of the playground in front.  But still, far better than any motel I've ever seen.

I wonder if they have televisions?  But, you know, we could always watch movies on my laptop.  Streaming or DVD, whichever worked.

No comments: