Saturday, January 20, 2024

Book review: Dog On It!

 The first in the series; I read one of the others last year because it happened to be available as an ebook from the library.  I loved this even more!  The dog is consistently the narrator and not quite as "occasionally unreliable narrator" as he was in the other book, still a great narrator. In fact, I kind of liked this better.


If you're hesitating, as I was, about reading a mystery novel starring a private investigator and his dog but narrated by the dog, put your hesitations aside for a minute and read the first couple of chapters. I'll guarantee it's not "cutesy" at all and the dog is a pretty funny customer. The author doesn't put very many anthopomorphically hard-to-believe thoughts into Chet's (the dog's) head, and he does a great job at explaining how his sense of smell works, much better than a human's.

But if you still hate it after that, I'll try to forgive you.

No comments: