Saturday, January 6, 2024

Magnus the MIghty Motorhome takes us to Seminole Canyon, Day 3

 Thu 16 Nov 2023

The second day at Garner was planned so that we could take a trip to Lost Maples State Natural Area. I'd carefully researched the "fall foliage reports" and chosen November 14-ish to be the best day for brilliant colors.  So off we went, camera in hand, to peep the leafs.

There was a buttload of people there ahead of us. We barely got a parking space at the day use area where we could see the alleged stand of big maples. All I can say is, like a lot of things in Texas (pecans, childcare affordability, honest politicians), the maples were not at all big.  They were pretty much little and what leaves they retained were mostly brown. Occasional limbs still held green/yellow foliage, but in general, not.

It was a pretty place and I would definitely come back there in springtime, in search of golden-cheeked warblers. But the fall foliage was no prettier than where we'd come from, so we returned to Garner.

Nice afternoon--I had a long walk with Molly; saw a raven, clay-colored sparrows (I think), black crested titmice. As usual, a great day camping.

A raven

After much research, I am still clueless about what species of sparrow this is.

Our campsite at Garner
The Rio Frio, I believe
Pretty river scenery

No comments: