Sunday, August 18, 2024

Magnus Moves! Massachusetts and back, Day 13

Sunday July 21
Move to West Thompson Lake, a Corp. of Engineers campground in Massachusetts.



On Sunday it was time to get an early start, pack up and head to our campground near Edward's house. Of course, the early part didn't happen and the drive was hideous. Road construction had a good part of route 6 closed down and traffic was very heavy. We idled for a good ten minutes a couple of times at least.

At the least I'd given us all a good breakfast before leaving. By raiding all the remaining bacon and eggs in our fridge, cooking a pot of rice, and making sausage-egg-McMuffins for Ed and Edward, I was able to turned out a pretty decent breakfast. Plus apples, oranges and grapes.  Much better than Dunkin'.

I wasn't sorry to be leaving Cape Cod. The trip didn't turn out at all like I'd expected. We spent too much time driving and stuck in traffic. Too much time waiting around. And very little time doing anything fun at all, except for (a) the lovely long walk Molly and I took down to the cranberry bog in the campground, (b) the brief period Ed and I spent looking at seals and gulls on the fisherman's wharf pier, and (c) the kids playing in the sand at Coast Guard Beach. That was fun.


Sweetwater Farms campground had been very nice but very crowded, of course. The people were great--the activities excellent. At least three playgrounds and mini-golf. We got free ice-cream one night and a guy took the kids on a "hayride" on a wagon pulled behind a tractor.  I didn't see a single dog off leash and only had minor scare when I stopped to talk to a lady and our dogs wanted to sniff. And once when I walked past a very large dog on a run. But no close encounters, so that was good.


I'd go there again, but preferably not in high season. Maybe September would be nice?  The kids' tent camping site was kind of meh but it was the only one nearby that was available, so I can't complain.  And the walk down to the cranberry bog and lake was lovely--if I'd been able to find it without a map, I'd have gone a second time.

So, nice place but very disappointing for my expectations of Cape Cod. Some other time, maybe. Plenty of  other places to go.

Scenes along the drive while stuck in traffic

Arrived to find this:

Lovely disc golf course at the campground. More on that tomorrow.


No comments: