Thursday, August 29, 2024

Magnus Moves! Massachusetts and back, Day 21

Monday July 29

 



Trip to Cumberland Mountain State Park.  Drove in rain off and on, more on than off, all morning. It finally started clearing about halfway.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Our spot


Arrived at Cumberland Mountain state park at 2pm-ish with the time change giving us an extra hour. Not until I went for a walk along the lake did I start to recognize the place--apparently we were here in June of last year, for a one-night stay on the way to Massachusetts.  I'd walked the handicapped/kid friendly trail along one side of the lake, then later we'd eaten a spectacularly mediocre dinner at the park restaurant.

It's a great park and well worth a do-over. Some of the sites in Loop 1 (like ours) are full hookup. There's a great network of trails. This time Molly and I walked the handicapped trail to the end, then went on the Pioneer trail loop for 1.8 miles to the swinging bridge (not while I was on it!).  At the bridge we returned on the trail up the other side of the river until we reached the boat rental. We tried to go back on the road, but it had been over an hour at that point and I didn't know the best route back. So we just went across the bridge there and returned on the handicapped trail. 

 




We were walking for about 1-1/2 hours total.  Merlin heard a hooded warbler but I didn't see much--I was too busy walking.  Oddly enough, we met several people during our walk. I heard a voice ahead of me saying, "Oh look, there's a waterfall." when the voice came in sight, I saw it was a young lady alone, narrating the walk to persons unseen through a headset.  We met about four other people and everyone was pleasant except for the two park workers doing trail maintenance. They weren't unpleasant, just grumpy.

Ed grilled fish for supper.  Bedtime came with a crash because we were both so zombified by the time change. We did manage to stay up until 10:00, but only barely.

More trail pics. Not crossing that!


But we will cross the "swinging bridge" so long as there's NO swinging while we're on there.




No comments: