Monday, March 19, 2018

Gardening In My Roots - Wonderful Weather



After two hot, dry days near 80 degrees, a smart shower has made things right again. I can practically see things growing--













Kale. Ignore the little purple flower in front of it. It's just Henbit, a harmless weed. 

Lettuce badly in need of thinning, and snap peas trying hard to get somewhere before the heat takes them down. It appears they grow very slowly--I started them in late January; they took about three weeks to come up. No blooms yet, which is okay. They should save their strength for now.














Amazing bunch of shallots overwintered and doing fine! Problem is, I'm scared to dig any up. Maybe I'll try some leaves in my salad.





Seven tomatoes in the ground! I'm declaring war on Father Weather. But I have seven buckets (for frost) ready.








Here's what happens when you cram a pepper in among some snapdragons and accidentally leave it out for an overnight frost. I think it's officially determined that our overnight lows are at least 4 degrees lower than those posted for McKinney.
















But here's what happens when you rescue a bunch of nearly dead pansies on the markdown last fall, cram 'em in a pot and leave them outside all winter. Magic!

 


No comments: