Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Intrigue and murder and ladies maid issues

On Her Majesty's Frightfully Secret Service
by Rhys Bowen

Warm, cozy and frightfully funny.

There's a time and place for a book where you can tell from page one that nothing terribly bad will happen and everything will come out right in the end. There may be a murder or two, but the detective's loved ones will emerge unscathed, she will eventually solve the mystery, and the terribly efficient Austrian housemaid will clean up her muddy shoes.

It's not for everyone, but sometimes, it's just right for me. The last murder mystery I read had no such assurances. In fact,  it didn't even have an incontrovertible resolution. And the book I just started reading, while not a murder mystery, has some real ugliness coming on. I put it aside and haven't been able to pick it back up--it's almost like I want some reassurance up front that it isn't going to hurt too bad.

For shame! What a coward I am. But not so Lady Georgiana--she ventures out of her not-so-comfortable castle to take tea with the queen and then travel to Italy, without a maid! Or maybe without a maid. That's still to be determined. The author, Rhys Bowen, doesn't get in a hurry with her story and I didn't want her to. Imagine--traveling without a maid! Too droll.

I don't remember any laugh-out-loud moments, but I distinctly remember grinning insanely while I stirred risotto with the earbuds in. Would it be worth keeping up my Audible membership long enough to hear the next one?

Oh, no no no! This wasn't the first in the series--it was the eleventh out of twelve! What have I done?

No comments: