Thursday, March 8, 2018

Recipe Reduction 165..163

Tomato and Eggs Over Rice
 By Joy Huang The Cooking of Joy

I strongly suspect this recipe could have been good if only I'd had home-grown tomatoes ripened in my garden. Supermarket tomatoes, planted in sterile soil, picked green, and gassed until they turned red, just didn't cut it. The result was was sour and gross. Canned tomatoes would have been better, but still not good.

Try again, in season. Maybe.

 


Strawberry Cheesecake
by Luverene Dove

I cheated and used blueberries. Shoot me!


It looked pretty and tasted fine, but not as good as the "elegant cheesecake" recipe (topped with sour cream) that I usually make. And we prefer our topping to be lumpy, with bits of whole fruit, not blended into a thick syrup. On the other hand, this was extremely easy to make.

One thing to complain about--there is no way that amount of graham cracker crust would have been sufficient even if I had the right kind of pan. Don't skimp on the crust, folks. If people think it's too much, they can leave it on their plates. Me, never.






One other complaint--can't people figure out how to make cakes right in the pan, so there's no delightful delicious batter left in the bowl? How to resist?



Spicy Roasted Brussels Sprouts
by Erin McDowell on
Epicurious

Appears to be a matter of taste. I loved 'em; others hated.

No comments: