Sunday, March 18, 2018

Recipe Reduction 159..158


Fat-free Onion Ranch Dressing
by Susan Voisin

My apology for the pink color: she told me to use white onions but one of mine was rotten and I had a red onion sitting right there. Just close your eyes and make believe.

Tasted like baked onions. What did I expect?  I ate it twice and threw the rest away.  It would be interesting to try with super-sweet Vidalia onions and double spices, but still I wouldn't call it ranch dressing. I know and love ranch dressing--this is an insult to the intelligence. Call it Double Onion Dilly Dressing.

 



Potato Chowder With Miso Broth
Adapted from Donabe: Classic and Modern Clay Japanese Clay Pot Cooking by Naoko Takei Moore and Kyle Connaughton. (Ten Speed Press)

Very good!  And the Chunky La-Yu Sauce was die-worthy.








It could have been just a little spicier--I need to test the degree of heat in my gochugaru (chili flakes.) The recipe said to use both this and some hot chili flakes, but silly me just doubled up on the gochugaru and skipped the flakes.

One thing about the chowder bothered me--it called for the lentils to be cooked separately but the potatoes to be cooked in the broth. They both take about 20 minutes to cook, so why not throw them in, too?  Not that I'm lazy or anything, but that would have meant one less pan to wash.

No comments: