Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Maybe I'm not modern enough for this book

A Modern Way to Cook: 
Over 150 quick, smart and flavour-packed recipes for every day 
by Anna Jones
I'm not going to "officially" review this book because I haven't cooked from it yet. I allow myself to review cookbooks that are more biography or travelogue with a few recipes sprinkled in; but this is strictly a cook book.

But I just wanted to point out a few things in addition to the impossibly cooking short times:
- not enough pictures
- recipes split across two pages when they didn't need to be.  I HATE having to flip back and forth with greasy hands.

Publisher's fault, of course.  But I can't blame the publisher for these ingredients:
    a handful of coconut flakes       
    1 Tbsp maple syrup
    1 tsp smoked paprika
So you grab a "handful" of coconut flakes--would that be a 6-foot tall man's hand or a 4-foot tall woman's?--but you use exactly 1 Tbsp of maple syrup and 1 tsp paprika.  I find that unbearably annoying--be loose or be exact, but not at the same time!

I am happy to report that Ms. Jones doesn't put pepper in everything, but I still say there's too much of it. I like her chatty attitude--it's encouraging. It almost had me believing that I could actually  be turning pasta every 30 seconds or so as it cooks, and at the same time be removing any tough stems from the kale and coarsely tearing the leaves.

Sound easy? For a three-handed space alien, easy. Or maybe with a lot of caffeine....

No comments: