Friday, March 16, 2018

Recipe Reduction 161..160

 Breakfast Oat Pudding with Raisins, Honey and Toasted almonds
from Vegetable Literacy

Wow. Surprisingly good. Cook oat groats for an hour, add some regular oats and the stuff, top with toasted almonds. At first taste it didn't seem sweet enough, but when eaten for breakfast it was just fine.

Just be sure not to throw the almonds in the toaster oven, set the minimum timer (about 10 minutes), and leave the room. My house smelled of blackened almonds for the rest of the day. Do as I say, not as I do.


Mushrooms Stuffed with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Adapted from Gourmet, March 1996 by Smitten

I've saved this recipe for five years. Seems impossible, doesn't it?

Now I've cooked it, and now, I'm going to delete it. They were certainly pretty--festive, don't you think?
Problem is, they didn't taste all that good. Maybe my ingredients were at fault--maybe my Parmesan was old? (But the leftover shavings tasted fine to me, as I shoved them in my greedy little mouth.) I did do a tiny substitution or two--extra chives, green onions and garlic instead of the shallot.

Puzzling...puzzling...got it. It wanted a different kind of cheese and the caps should have been sauteed in butter instead of baked. Maybe. I think I'll leave this one for the experts to puzzle out.

No comments: