Friday, March 9, 2018

Recipe Reduction 162..161

Perfect Grilled Shrimp

I'd saved off at least four recipes for grilled shrimp. Two of them called for lemon juice and a two-hour marinade time. But wait--I've read that is an absolute no-no.  Shrimp in acid will turn mushy and sort-of cook--technically it's called denaturation. I don't want mush, I want shrimp!

So I ditched them all and found a recipe on Serious Eats https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/food-lab-how-to-grill-shrimp.html where they were willing to experiment to create a perfect grilled shrimp. I was using the indoor grill so I didn't get quite the markings I wanted. But the result was darn near perfect.

The only change I'm make would be to sprinkle a little Sriracha in the marinade. When I bite into a shrimp, I like it to bite back.

Mango Curry Hummus Quinoa Bowls
author lost



I failed to include the last ingredient: additional veggies of choice (pictured is roasted rutabaga)

But would it have helped?  This was really good in a really not so good way. Hard to explain--you take plain cooked quinoa, good, top it with hummus made with a mango and some curry powder, good, and spoon a pile of fresh carrot slaw on top. I don't see how that could have gone wrong, and it didn't. But...it just didn't go right.

I don't know what else to say. The mixture of flavors and textures didn't sing for me.

No comments: