Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Bored to tiaras

Get Fluffy
A Pampered Pets mystery
by Sparkle Abbey

When I say I love to read, I mean it. There's a wide range of genres, styles and scenarios I enjoy reading, and a slightly smaller range that I can tolerate for a short time.  Like the extent of a single book. But--I'm beginning to remember--there are a few that I just can't take.

Even when they're well-written. I slogged through a Tom Clancey novel once and while the subject matter bored me to tears, I had to admit it was top-rate writing. James Patterson, too--so long as he was writing about children with surgically implanted wings, I could enjoy a book. (not two)


But Get Fluffy is a different matter. Having just finished an instructive, touching, heartful book about dogs in general and Merle in particular (Merle's Door), and currently listening to an audiobook about search-and-rescue dogs and their handlers, I found Get Fluffy abominably trivial. The "detective" runs a boutique selling dog's clothes. Her clients buy the clothes. The dogs wear jeweled collars and tiaras. The suspects in the case wear Valentino gowns and carry Hermes Birkin bags. And as far as I can tell, that's all they do...except go to parties and gad about. It reminds me a little of Jane Austin.

Yuck. I did my requisite 30 pages or three chapters, whichever comes last. Glad I didn't pay money for this.

No comments: