Sunday, September 30, 2018

Recipe reduction--can I call it a countdown yet? 35-34

Surprise* Cinnamon Rolls
by L.V.Anderson on Slate's You're doing it wrong series

Good, very good. Is there any such thing as a "bad" cinnamon roll?  But I left the egg out of the batter recipe, so I'll never know if the "good, not great" desigation is appropriate.  Unless I try them again....

Sounds like an excuse to eat more cinnamon rolls.

Question: when you're dealing with a yeasted batter, is there any way to keep it from rising under your fingers before you can roll it up?  It swells like a sponge!  Should I turn the air conditioning down to sixty and put my hands in the freezer for ten minutes?

Slow Cooked Apple Butter

Don't know.  I didn't have Applejack, but it was just a small ingredient among many.  I didn't have real apple cider but used unfiltered apple juice as a good substitute. My choice of apples--Granny Smith and Pink Lady--could have been better. When I do it again I'll use cooking apples. And finally, the measurement of cloves and allspice hadn't transcribed into the saved recipe.  I used 1/16 teaspoon and that may have been a too much.

With all those problems I'm not surprised my results were only so-so. It was certainly better than supermarket apple butter but maybe not as good as farmer's market.

Just to reveal my naivete, I didn't think clearly about how to store the almost two quarts it produced. I'd just assumed I'd store it in the refrigerator--stupid! It will take me a year to eat that much apply butter. Today I'm going to go back and try to can it.

No comments: