Friday, September 7, 2018

Recipe Reduction 47...45

Veggie Nori Rolls

My only failure this weekend.  It showed--and still shows--potential. But don't follow the recipe.

It called for speading the nori sheet with hummus. I used some green-colored hummus I had in the fridge and it would have been better with the traditional hummus of chickpeas, garlic and tahihini.  But it was okay. You add a little carrot, a little cucumber, a little avocado and lemon and--stop there! Roll and eat.

But no. The recipe called for a sprinkle of nutritional yeast and that was just hideous.

Sopa Verde de Elote
by Heidi

Okay, I was dubious. And the instructions were just silly.  You cook the tomatillas and blend them up. In the same pot you cook the onion and garlic, then put the tomatillas back in.

In another bowl you blend up a bunch of frozen corn, a few frozen peas, hot peppers, cilantro and lettuce--yes, lettuce. You pop it in, add water and cook for just a few more minutes.

So here's my issue--why not cook the tomatillas, onion and garlic all together?  Saves a whole step.  So that's what I did and, no matter,
it was great!




Chicken Chow Mein
by norecipes

I don't know. There wasn't enough sauce for all the noodles--I ended up pulling one-quarter of them out (and all over the stove.)  And with only a tiny amout of soy sauce, it was bland!  A little soy sauce added to the marinade might have helped...or not. It might have toughened the chicken, and that was the only thing that came out well. Better to add it at the end.

If only I'd had the 5-spice powder the recipe called for, I'd know what it was really supposed to taste like. But the quantity was so tiny--one-eight teaspoon for four chicken thighs--I don't think it would have made that much of a difference. I'll never be a gourmet, that's a given.

No comments: