Thursday, September 27, 2018

Recipe Reduction 37-36

 Wild Rice and Roasted Root Vegetable Bowl
from Oh My Veggies

I see you've noticed from the picture that the only root vegetables I included were onion, carrot and potato. I'm sure she was thinking parsnips, turnips, rutabaga or even sweet potato--I was thinking of RV accessories and I'm surprised I even remembered the potatoes.

It's just as well I didn't waste any of those yummy and sometimes exotic root vegetables on this recipe.  But if I'd remembered the dress the rice with vinegar and olive oil, would that have improved it so much?  Possibly a little.  It wasn't much of a "recipe" anyway--just cooked wild rice (with vinegar and olive oil), roasted veggies, served on a bed of greens. I used grocery store kale which was tough as oak leaves so I cooked it. The only thing that might have made it a "recipe" was the dressing--but it was just a mixture of tahini, garlic, lime juice and cumin. Not a good combination.

It's wholesome and edible and will feed me nutritiously next week.  But I'm not looking forward to lunch tomorrow.





Sardine Fritters in Lettuce Leaves with Sriracha-Soy Sauce
by Mario Batali, sauce by Stuart Brioza

Why in the world did it take me so long to cook something so simple and so lovely?  Open two cans of sardines--make sure the cats are out of the room--and mix them wiht bread crumbs, egg, garlic, Parmesan cheese and parsley.  Fry in a little oil. Serve with a dipping sauce of equal parts Sriracha, soy sauce and lime juice.

The author said "perfect for a dinner of four friends."  I say, equally perfect for a lunch with one. Me.

No comments: