Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Recipe Reduction 40-38

All-Purpose Stir-Fry Sauce (Brown Garlic Sauce) 
By Connie K, adapted from Martin Yan's Chinese Cooking for Dummies

As the reviewers suggested, too salty. But still kind of meh.  I stir-fried a load a veggies and added the sauce at the end; but even though I'd only made a half-recipe of sauce, I didn't end up using it all.  Or saving it.

After making endless variations on the stir-fry over many years of my life, my tastes have begun to change. One of my early favorites was a Szechuan sauce based on ketchup; later I enjoyed the intensely swet, rich brown sauce that goes so excellently with green beans. But now my favoite is a simple mix of sesame oil, vegetable broth, tamari and rice vinegar. Potato starch to thicken, but no sugar. Vegetables are naturally sweet.

Don't count this as a fail--I'll eat it happily all week. But it's not a do-over.








Baked Sweet & Sour Pineapple Sriracha Tofu Nuggets
Author: Yup, it's Vegan

Pretty much hideous. The dipping sauce was okay. 

You marinade your tofu in pinapple juice and tomato paste and sriracha and stuff, then roll it in a cornmeal-flour mixture and bake it.  The leftover marinade is enriched with ketchup and still more sriracha until it's so hot you can't taste anything for hours after, then you use it as a dipping sauce.

Not sure what I did wrong, but the tofu ended up with clumps of dry, flavorless cornmeal on the outside.  Frying this, even with the merest smidgen of oil, might have made it edible. But, hey! I could eat week-old bread if it were dipped in a spicy sriracha-ketchup sauce, so I'll eat this.



Todd Richards’s Fried Catfish With Hot Sauce
by Korsha Wilson

Good recipe--too bad I burned it and over salted it. Normally recipes skimp on the salt so I gave an extra sprinkle of the shaker.  Bad idea.  I burned it because the oil was a little too hot. I didn't use my thermometer and just attempted to judge it.  Plus my pieces were small, so they were a little burnt after only 2-1/2 minutes per side.

But still good. I keep eating it for supper and waking up thirsty with nightmares. Salt--or pizza--will do that to you.



No comments: