Monday, September 10, 2018

Lots of baby birthing. I enjoyed.

Delivering the Truth
by Edith Maxwell

Cute little themed "cozy" about a Quaker midwife who solves murders on the side. I didn't find the murder very interesting--not sure if it was poorly plotted, poorly portrayed, or just an example of my interests--when people in a book are having babies, I get bored with the people who aren't having them.

Midwife Rose Carroll, the mysery solver, is more than a mystery solver.  I expect character development for the main character, and wouldn't continue reading a series without it. But in this case, she's got so much of a character going that the murder investigation became an annoying sideplot--I could enjoy this character better without the murder. 

The mystery novel format gives an author a ready-made audience. People know what to expect out of a mystery. I'm no exception--I put a lot of scrutiny into a plain old novel before I commit to it. A novel can take you anywhere--wrench your emotions--tarnish your soul--go where no man has gone before.  Not so, I assume, for a mystery. Especially a "cozy" like this.  You stay on planet earth; the main character never dies and seldom do her best friends; her story continues in Volume 2; human civilization is not wiped out by an alien invasion.

And that's the problem with this. I think this character deserves a different genre. I'll happily read the next--it's already on my to-read list--but I wonder what she could have done if released from the cage?

No comments: