Sunday, September 2, 2018

Recipe Reduction 58-56...51???

Low Calorie Avocado Dip

Again I face a recipe I never should have saved. It might seem sensible to extend avocados with fat-free yogurt and cover up the taste with garlic, cumin, onions, cilantro and lime juice. But yogurt is dairy and I prefer not to do dairy, so I ended up with one of those highly processed fake yogurts made from who-knows-what. The end result tasted okay but it was a waste of a good avocado.

Sorry I'm such a bigoted purist. Guacamole is guacamole and dip is dip. Don't mix 'em.


Vegan Thai Pineapple Fried Rice
Author: Yup, it's Vegan

Oddly enough I kind of liked this. I didn't have any five-spice powder and my curry powder was really old and I pre-cooked the carrots and broccoli--excellent idea that I thought of myself--you really can't stir-fry carrots and broccoli properly on a home electric range with a wok that's not quite flat on the bottom.

With all that against it, it turned out pretty good. But it wasn't real fried rice--it was just leftover rice added into stir-fried vegetables.

One final note--1/2 cup pineapple added to a head of broccoli, 2 carrots, half a head cabbage, and 2-1/2 cups rice, doesn't not make a "Pineapple Fried Anything."  It should have been called "Stir-fried Veggies with Rice and a Pineapple Garnish".



Whole Wheat English Muffins

Not "whole" wheat, only half, but delicious so I won't sue them for false advertising. I got careless and didn't heap up the batter as they told me to, so they ended up more like small pancakes and they weren't easy to split in half. But so good!

I wonder if a person could dollop about half of the dough for a muffin, say 1/4 cup, then let it cook just a minute and do its spreading, and then spoon the rest of the dough on top?  It's worth a try but...these things are awfully fattening and I'm the only one eating them. Better wait until I have an audience for the creation.






Now, I have a confession to make. My counter says I'm on recipe #55, but when I checked the recipes left in the to-try folder, there are only 51. It would be difficult to go back and see where the mistake(s) happened, so I'm going to apologize to myself and move on. There doesn't seem much point in going out to find four new recipes to add to the list. Trust me, I've learned my lesson already--I will reset the countdown to 51 and complete the regimen.  And never save recipes again.






No comments: