Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Love this author. 3rd book, no misses.

What happened to Goodbye
by Sarah Dessen

I seem to remember this book having lower ratings than some of her newer ones, but now that I've read (listened to) it, I don't see why.  Oh--yes--I remember now. The other books of hers I read had some supremely intense events in them--rape, imprisonment--so the subject matter of this one is light by contrast.  Just divorce.  And feelings of rejection, homelessness, inability to persist relationsships....

I could see someone coming off this saying, "Wasn't that sweet?" But if they did, they weren't paying attention. This girl was going through a lot of misery underneath, and her failure to wallow in it was just a sign of the problem.

In true Sarah Dessen way, the author gets to put some heavy messages in her young characters words. I rolled my eyes a couple of times. 
Home wasn't a set house, or a single town on a map. It was wherever the people who loved you were, whenever you were together. 
But her description of what a true friend is by calling them a "two a.m." is right on.

No comments: