Monday, November 12, 2012

Sunday cooking recap



Cooking last night, I learned something.  Anything that involves folding little circles of dough around runny filling and crimping the edges shut...is not something I'm ever going to be good at.  After I made one batch of spectacularly ugly empenadas, I left a half-cup of chorizo draining on paper towels and made a batch of apple-cinnamon empendadas.  Also spectacularly ugly.



Then I had a couple of extra circles and finished them up with the (now well-drained) chorizo.  Those were easy.

Verdict on the chorizo empenadas:  good, could have been great if I'd not cooked the green chilis with the chorizo and if I'd snuck a little cheddar cheese into the crust.  Got to try that!

I also totally failed on what a "Spanish onion" is.  Best as my research can tell, it's not anything.  I saw them described as yellow, white or red, but universally, "mild."  But my research proved useful, because I now know this:
1. Yellow onions are the most pungent and best for long, slow cooking.
2. White onions are a little milder and would be preferred for stir-frying.
3. Red onions are milder still and not good for cooking.
4. Of course, onions grown in low-sulfur soil (Vidalias) are heavenly.

So my best definition of a Spanish onion would be a red onion or a mild yellow or white onion.  That really narrows it down.

Good fajitas!

No comments: