Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Wednesday and finally sitting down

It's 7:29 p.m.  I've been home since before six o'clock--and I finally get to sit down.

Book #2 of my ten book challenge is,

Around my French Table: More than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
by Dorie Greenspan

I bow to The Tipsy Baker's opinion on this one--Dorie has great recipes, detailed instructions, and comments in the margins that answer your questions before you even ask them.  She's a goddess; her book is a jewel; and I'm leaving it on my amazon.com wish list until someone buys it for me.  Apart from recipes, she has some funny descriptions of her shopping adventures in France--I wished for more.

Since it is a cookbook, and a hefty one, I didn't force myself to read every word.  But I did turn every page, read all of the comments in the margins, and skim each recipe to see if I could or couldn't live without cooking it, immediately.  Since I'm not a foodie, there were only two recipes I copied out--her Beef Daube looks like a sensible replacement for the over-complicated Beouff Borgiononne (plus, I never have been able to spell it).  And her baked cauliflower dish looks so scrumptious that I'm probably going to try it for Thanksgiving.  I also learned how to make my own Creme Fraiche.  Next time I need the finicky stuff, I'll think two days ahead and make a batch with the leftover heavy cream in the refrigerator and the plain yogurt I buy for the dogs.

No comments: