Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving and book #5

I am not going to waste my whole day cooking.  And I am not going to post bragging pictures of the fabulous meal I created.  Instead...

High Tide In Tuscon


by Barbara Kingsolver





When I re-read the first ten chapters I did eventually remember them, but they were so good I enjoyed them a second time around twice as much.  The book contains a series of short essays on things as varied as Hermit Crab behavior, global child-rearing, travels in Spain and species extinction.  So many notable quotes I wished I'd marked every page of 'em--but that would have been make my book fringy with all the yellow stickies.

I'm thinking of putting it in the bathroom and just leaving it there, for every time I need a lift.  Sitting time == brain-expansion.

Read this book.  Don't expect a complex plot but don't expect to put it down without reluctance...just one more story....

Much later.  Wow.  The turkey (Alton Brown with modifications) really was juicy and flavorful.  The dressing best ever.  The gravy (second attempt) strong and rich; the potatoes fluffy and the roasted winter vegetables were to die for!  I can cook!

No comments: