Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thanks to an intestinal upset that kept me couchbound, I finished book #4,
Bridge to Terabithia

by Katherine Paterson








 but...I'm not proud to admit it.  To record this warm gem as simply a book, number 4 on a reading challenge, is like calling the Grand Canyon a stop on a cross-continent tour.  Think mind-blowing

I'd already seen the movie so I knew the ending.  The temptation to stop on chapter 10, The Perfect Day, was strong and can't say I'm proud of myself for sticking it out.  But I did, and got the reward of seeing a tiny bit of Jess's character growth that they left out of the movie. 

I'm not blasting the move, by the way.  It did justice to the book in the best tradition of Disney movies.  I've seen a lot of Disney movies based on books and they never seem to disappoint--Holes and Hoot are a couple that come to mind.  (aside: I'm not sure this is a movie based on a book or the other way around.  But I don't feel good enough to research that right now.)

No comments: