Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Gardening in my Roots, heat season

 



At least they waited until June to forecast a 100+ day. (That's 38 for you Celsiusers) No more rain, either. It'll be sad to watch north-central Texas turn into a desert, but maybe I'll be gone before it's finished. The bigger, more mobile creatures will move to the north--roadrunners and imported fire ants will make it for sure, but I'm not sure about the tarantulas.





The okra likes it for sure.




And the winter squash seems to be traveling...away from the heat?

Squash vine borers are at work. (no picture; too sad) One of my little darlings is all wilty; it will be dead tomorrow. End of the peas. Loving them didn't stop me from composting them.  End of the spring broccoli, too, but I'm thinking about leaving them through the summer to see if they produce a fall crop. I did that once in the fall, although that time I think I was just too lazy to clean them up.

I harvested another handful of beans, which was a lot considering I only have about 20 plants. Interesting...the beans I planted for a replacement didn't show any signs of sprouting, so I'd given up on them. However, after a monster of a thundershower on Thursday, they finally decided to move.

Cucumbers are blooming!


No comments: