Thursday, May 3, 2018

Recipe Reduction 135..134




I used my first harvest of kale to make:
 Raw Kale Salad
by Miriam Krule  for Slate's You're doing it wrong series

Would have been good if only she'd given a clue about how long to massage it for. I kneaded it until my hand was tired and then quit, thinking the 10-minute rest with the salad dressing was going to do some magic. It didn't. It tastes good and I'm sure it's full of healthy vitamins, but it's tough as oak leaves and about as hard to swallow.

Verdict? Keep it but change the word "massage" to "pulverize."




Curried Chickpeas and Kale
from FatFree Vegan Kitchen

Okay, but not worth keeping a recipe for. I could have adapted a tried-and-true recipe and gotten better results, or at the least, results I liked better. It's probably a matter of taste.

But I learned a valuable tip that I'll share with you:
     when adding mature greens to a soup, stew, or slurry, always chop them small!
It's just gross to dip a bit of naan bread into a curry and come up with a long, stringy strand of kale.  Spinach breaks down; Kale persists forever.



No comments: