Friday, May 18, 2018

Recipe Reduction 125...124

Taco Bell Copycat Taco Seasoning Mix

I have two theories to propose:
(a) the author just threw every spice he could think of in and hoped for the best, or
(b) I don't have the taste buds to tell the difference.

Did it taste like real Taco Bell mix?  Dunno, but it tasted close enough that I'm going to check the price on the mix packets very carefully next time.  It only takes ten minutes to pull flour, cornstarch, cumin, chili powder, paprika, cayenne, onion powder, and five other spices off the rack and dump them in a bowl.  If I measured the amount of the mix to use, I could make a big batch and freeze it.  Worth the time? I don't know, but definitely worth a try.







Crunchy Korean Bean Sprouts
from norecipes

Crunchy, for sure. I'm not so happy with the recipe--it said fourteen ounces of sprouts would be a "handful", but my sixteen ounces made three very large handfuls. They were bland and oily tasting until I added a handful of crushed chili, and then they were slightly spicy and oily tasting. I tried adding salt, and then they were salty, spicy and oily tasting--no better.

It might fit nicely on a relish tray to accompany a fiercely hot entree. Otherwise, no

No comments: