Sunday, May 20, 2018

Recipe Reduction 121-120

 Spinach and Feta Pita Bake

No feta for me--I used a little queso blanco from the freezer. Much better.

Here's the recipe: top a few pita breads with pesto (made last summer and frozen), spread with spinach (frozen, cooked, chopped), slice some dried tomatoes on top (also from last summer), top with cheese. I added sliced olives. Back at 375 until the whole house smells heavenly.

Then--my own unique addition--store in a plastic container, take to work, and heat in a toaster oven. After the first toaster cycle, decide they're not crispy enough, and set a second cycle. Take them out, ignoring the blackened edges, and enjoy.

Just goes to prove that there's no food so delicious that I can't overcook it.
Here's a picture of my second, unblackened try:



 







Szechuan Bok Choy
from Vegan Without Borders

Strange recipe...sesame seed instead of sesame oil and no cooking sauce at the end. There was a sort-of sauce--soy sauce, mirin, and sugar--but not one of those cornstarch-water mixtures that glaze the vegetables. Which is good. My tastes are trending away from heavy sauces; I'm coming to prefer the light, broth-based ones that enhance the vegetable flavors, not obliterate them.

All that said, I might have liked this if I hadn't overcooked the vegetables. (I only had a little bok choy so I supplemented with broccoli and snap peas)  But it was a win for another reason:
    12 ingredients, from scratch, on a weeknight--twenty minutes! 
No, I didn't time it but it felt like twenty minutes.  How's that for fast food?


Maybe I should do as they suggest on those trendy foodie sites--whenever I pick garden produce or get the CSA box or return from the farmer's market, immediately prepare everything for cooking and store it in the fridge in individual containers. Then I could whip up a hot, fresh dinner every night.

Or maybe not. I like my leftovers.

No comments: