Monday, May 14, 2018

Recipe Reduction 128-127


Lettuce Wraps
from Vegan Without Borders

The note I made on the recipe was "good, but will I ever want to make this for myself again?" That about sums it up.  UPDATE: changed my mind on this. It's great and I will make it again.  All for myself.

But I learned something. At Jimmy John's sandwich shop, they make a lettuce wrap using two or three huge leaves of Romaine bound around with paper and tied up with tape. You could hit someone over the head with them.

But this recipe called for a soft, frilly lettuce, such as Boston.  So I used the biggest leaves from the head in the CSA box, rolled them tightly and crammed them close together. Hopeless--after one good bite they lost their stuff.  In my lap.

I'd saved it as a "guest food", but would I really want to inflict these impossible-to-eat little morsels on a guest?  Nah, I'll just eat them myself. With a fork. 

Summer Quinoa Salad
author unknown

It's a cheat to say I made this, but I'm saying it anyway. I made the Quinoa Salad; I didn't make the dressing.  On second glance, I see that was a mistake--I thought it was one of those nasty vinaigrettes, but it was actually a honey mustard with lemon. Maybe I'll make it later?

The salad was nothing more than quinoa with snap peas, kale and green onion--the lesson learned here is that you can pair quinoa with any combination of vegetable, call it a salad and have great eating.

 I cooked the snap peas and kale, even though I wasn't supposed to. My kale is inedible unless cooked, and the snap peas, while perfectly edible raw, are a whole different vegetable when cooked.  Splash on a couple of tablespoons of water and zap in the microwave for 2-1/2 minutes--they're still crunchy but they acquire a supremely sweet and intense flavor. Yahoo!

UPDATE: made the dressing. Not as good as I hoped--could be sweeter--but not bad at all. Probably won't make it again, but at least it was worth a try.

No comments: