Monday, May 28, 2018

Recipe Reduction 115-114

 

Pantry Puttanesca With Sardines
tinyfarmhouse.com
Not bad at all!  At one point the smell of it cooking was just like tuna, only of course, tuna with less mercury. I'm assuming that canned sardines are a sustainable seafood--I should check on that...if they're from California (Pacific herrings), good. Canada, okay. If they're European Pilchard from the Mediterranean, bad bad bad.  If they're real sardines from the Pacific, very, very bad because the fishery is closed due to population decline.

For a weeknight recipe, this one couldn't be simpler.  Cook some pasta and drain, reserving the cooking water.  (I failed on this one and dumped the water down the drain.)

In a little oil, saute shallots (I had to use green onion and a small clove garlic), add chopped tomato, olives, capers and the sardines, and cook until the sardines are falling apart. Add the reserved cooking water and the pasta, mix it all up--done!

The sardines only tasted the slightest bit sardiney, and if you're a fond of the flavor you'd be even more pleased than I was.  For me, it's a keeper.




Green Salad with Beets, Oranges & Avocado
by Gimme Some Oven

The lesson learned from this is that adding raw beets to a salad makes it pretty but doesn't do anything for the taste, and that adding oranges makes it pretty and tasty. Other than that, it's kind of like the recipe for a green salad in a beginner's cookbook--take greens, add some pretty vegetables, cheese and nuts or seeds; top with dressing.  I can't imagine why I saved it.

So maybe this exercise is teaching me to be a lot more selective about what I save. Can I hope?

No comments: