Sunday, May 6, 2018

Recipe Reduction 131...130

Will I ever reach the century mark?

It hurt, but yesterday I stole enough time from outdoors work to make two dishes. Easy ones, of course.

Arugula Salad with Tofu Goddess Dressing
author unknown

Turns out I'd made this before and failed to move it out of the to-try folder. But my comment was, 'good', so  I ventured to make it again.  It is good.  This is one of the lower-calories salad dressings that actually works--tofu, a little olive oil, dill, lemon juice. It called for parsley but my parsley isn't happy right now, so I left that out.

The arugula, not so good.  With the dressing it was tolerable at best.  I still think the proper proportion of arugula to lettuce is one leaf arugula to twenty leaves lettuce.  Or fifty.




Miso Tofu Noodle Soup with Corn, Kale, and Snap PeasAn Eats Well With Others Original

No more quick-cooked kale for me--I used bok choy. The next time I eat kale I'm going to slow cook it for a long time.

This recipe was easy, fast, and delicious. I'm cooking it every spring from now on.  The directions for the tofu were way off base--my tofu never browned and started to crumble up, so I quit torturing it and continued. I'm going to try the "frozen tofu" thing next time--apparently if you freeze tofu that gives it the leathery 'restaurant' texture when it's cooked.

 

But as for the rest, it's so easy it's a no-brainer. Stir fry a little garlic, ginger and green onion, add vegetable broth with miso and soy sauce, add noodles. When they're almost done, add snap peas, asparagus, and greens. If the corn is fresh, add it now; I used frozen so I threw it in at the end. Simmer for about three minutes.

And the last step--the one which produced the magic--was all my own invention. Turn off the heat and leave it sitting on the stove for the rest of the afternoon.  The noodles soaked up all of the liquid, becoming creamy and flavorful, the vegetables softened.

It wasn't soup anymore, but it was great.

No comments: