Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Recipe Reduction 129, 128

Swiss Chard Slaw with Creamy Avocado Dressing

Neither great nor bad...what to do?  I guess dump it. My idea of "slaw" is crunch, and Swiss Chard doesn't.  The bok choy I threw in when I ran out of chard did better, but only the stalks had the requisite texture. Don't mean to be old and set in my ways, but I don't think slaw should be made out of anything except cabbage or maybe Brussels sprouts.





Rice Pudding and Mango
from Modern Spice

Good!  I wasn't expecting to like this, but I did.  It's just basmati rice slow cooked in milk, with cardamom. The recipe called for whole milk plus two tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk, but I cheated and used almond-coconut milk plus a tablespoon of sugar.  But mangoes are so incredibly sweet, I think it would have been just fine without the sugar.

It's a keeper, and it's also the only rice pudding I've ever enjoyed. Sorry, mom.

No comments: