Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Gardening in my Roots, almost summer now

The two cold snaps have resulted in my bok choy going to seed before the plants were big and also one of the broccoli to "button".  Which is a fancy term for going to seed early.  I cut a tiny head last week, about one-inch wide. We will see what the others do.  But, oh amazement: see what the Kohlrabi are doing!




Just what they're supposed to.  How can I bear to harvest the little darlings?






Now I have to admit something stupid. After the heavy frost damage of early April, I ran out and bought replacement tomatoes and peppers for the ones that were hit worst.  But then, when I transplanted the replacements, I didn't have the heart to pull up the damaged ones. They looked horrid, but they "weren't dead yet," so I planted the replacements near to the ones they were replacing but left both plants.

And now they're coming back to life.  I could be in big trouble come mid-June.

But probably not. This time last year the plants were twice and bit and thrice as leafy. These are not healthy plants. Keep them mulched; keep the watering even; and wait and see.


No comments: