Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day 201 - not nearly enough time for dogs

Ha!  Both Izzy and Zack got their claws clipped today.  Not as short as I'd like, but I was operating under extreme conditions--Izzy lay on the top step and curled up her feet underneath her.  Zack simply refused--I had to get Callie to compression-hold him.  He got his puppy cut, though, and looks much better for it.

I don't know if they'll get much other attention today, between The Water Situation and The Cinnamon Roll Adventure.

Both of these are my fault.  The Water Situation came about as a result of my nagging about the leak in the kids' shower.  Ed's trying to fix it but he has to deal with substandard pipe and antiquated plumbing fixtures.  The water to the house has been cut off since yesterday, but luckily the faucet out front still works.  So we have water--hauled into the house in 5-gallon buckets.

(5 gallons of water weighs 40 pounds.  Just a nice little workout.)

I don't know how The Cinnamon Roll Adventure got started.  I was trying to find something different to fix with our sausage-and-egg supper, and somehow I ran across this recipe for Cinnamon Rolls III on allrecipes.com.  The dough is made in the bread machine and my notes from back during the night of the Pizza Crust Disaster said that my bread machine takes "about" an hour-and-a-half to make dough.
I got it in right on time, at 4:10.  But according to the timer, it won't be ready until 5:42.  An hour-and-a-half would be...oh!  5:40. So what about that two minutes?  The schedule is totally whacked!

Later.  They turned out pretty good but I am pooped.  I shouldn't have tried to make beets AND sausage AND sautéed Swiss chard AND hash browns AND mushroom cream omelets AND cinnamon rolls.  And have them all come out at the same time.

I forgot to serve the beets.  And here's a note about growing beets--start checking them early and often.  Of the five I cooked, four were way bigger than they needed to be.  They weren't woody, thank heavens, but it's almost too late.  Next weekend I pull every one that's bigger than a golf ball.

No comments: